1. I don’t really like her, even though I admire her achievements.
→Much as I admire her achievement, I don’t really like her.
2. Alice and Charles did not decide to move to a bigger house until after the birth of their second child.
→Only when A. and C. had their second child did they decide to move to a bigger house.
3. Martin may not be very well but she still manages to enjoy life.
→Martin’s poor health doesn’t prevent/stop him from enjoying life.
4. The Pacific Ocean is on average deeper than the Atlantic.
→The average depth of the Pacific Ocean is greater than that of the Atlantic.
5. Under no circumstances should you phone the police.
→The last thing you should do is to phone the police.
6. We couldn’t find George anywhere.
→George was nowhere to be found.
7. Provided your handwriting is legible, the examiners will accept your paper.
→So long as the examiners can read your handwriting, they will accept your paper.
8. There are a lot of people depend on him.
→He has a lot of dependants.
9. I daren’t turn on the television because the baby might wake up. (FEAR)
→I daren’t turn on the television for fear of waking the baby up.
10. The teachers agreed to introduce the new methods. (AGREEMENT)
→There was an agreement among the teachers to introduce the new methods.
11. If interest rates are cut, the economic situation may improve. (REDUCTION)
→A reduction in/of interest rates may improve the economic situation.
12. I don’t personally care if they come or not. (MATTER)
→It doesn’t matter to me whether they come or not.
13. Local residents said they were against the new traffic scheme. (DISAPPROVAL)
→Local residents expressed their disapproval of the new traffic scheme.
14. Why isn’t this TV working?
→What is wrong with this TV?
15. May I borrow your pen?
→Would you lend me your pen?
16. We must do something about the problem even if it costs a lot.
→Costly as/though it may be, we must do something about the problem.
17. We should ban the use of pesticides, but we should also restrict the use of other chemicals.
→In addition to banning the use of pesticides, we should also restrict the use of other chemicals.
18. You might fall if you are not careful.
→Be careful or you will fall.
19. Immediately after his arrival, things went wrong.
→No sooner had he arrived than things went wrong.
20. Although Nam was the stronger of the two, his attacker soon overpowered him.
→Despite his being the stronger of the two, Nam was soon overpowered by his attacker.
21. The only reason the party was a success was that a famous film star attended.
→Had it not been for the attendance of a famous film star, the party wouldn’t have been a success.
22. Galileo is considered to be the father of modern astronomy.
→Galileo is regarded as the father of modern astronomy.
23. The only way you can become a good athlete is to train hard every day.
→Only by training hard every day can you become a good athlete.
24. He speaks more persuasively than his brother.
→He is a more persuasive speaker than his brother.
25. He can hardly read at all. (VIRTUALLY)
→He is virtually unable to read.
26. He can speak French well enough to go to the conference. (FLUENT)
→His French is fluent enough to go to the conference.
27. His arrival was completely unexpected. (TOOK)
→His arrival took us completely by surprise.
28. The first sign of the disease is a feeling of faintness. (ONSET)
→The onset of the disease is a feeling is shown by a feeling of faintness.
29. He began by giving us a summary of his progress so far. (OUTSET)
→At the outset, he gave us a summary of his progress so far.
30. As an antidote to their disappointment, he bought them ice-cream. (OFFSET)
→To offset their disappointment, he bought them ice-cream.
Bài viết mới nhất cùng Box:
- » Từ vựng tiếng Anh lớp 11 (Bài 9) (20/01/2015)
- » Unit 9-16 +26 đề thk2_k11 (17/01/2014)
- » Đ.A và Đề thi Anh 11 hết kỳ I (13-14) tr... (17/01/2014)
- » Đề và Đ.A thi Khảo Anh 11 lần I (13-14) Tr... (17/01/2014)
- » TENSES (Thì) (05/12/2013)
- » CLEFT SENTENCES (Câu chẻ) (05/12/2013)
- » Could / be able to (05/12/2013)
- » CONJUNCTIONS (Liên từ) (05/12/2013)
- » Tóm tắt từ vựng, ngữ pháp tiếng Anh 11,... (10/10/2013)
- » Từ vựng Tiếng Anh 11 Cơ bản Unit 8 (11/09/2013)
Bài viết ngẫu nhiên trong diễn đàn:
- » SecurityCam 22.214.171.124 _ Biến máy tính thành hệ... (12/04/2013)
- » Bannick vĩnh viễn thành viên aakulinEr (09/10/2013)
- » Twinkle Twinkle Little Star (24/03/2013)
- » Trong tiếng Anh 10 cặp từ dễ gây nhầm lẫn (01/04/2014)
- » Cách dùng "do"và "make" (06/09/2013)
- » Đáp án đề thi đại học môn Tiếng Anh khối D... (10/07/2013)
- » Từ điển t.a chuyên ngành sinh học (13/06/2013)
- » Bài 2- Animals (22/05/2013)
- » Giáo trình luyện thi toeic (02/07/2013)
- » 10 phím tắt trên Windows 7 có thể bạn chưa... (13/10/2013)